Francona said of Carrasco
  • jlsalh21 October 9
    Bird's blast served as a jarring twist to a night that had, until that point, resembled so many of Miller's recent October appearances. Francona summoned him an inning before, to get starter Carlos Jose Ramirez Authentic Jersey Carrasco out of a bases-loaded jam in the sixth and preserve a scoreless game. Miller needed just two pitches -- both of them sliders -- to induce a harmless popup from Starlin Castro to escape the middle-inning jam, like he did so often during Cleveland's run to the World Series last October.

But Bird led off the next inning and changed the trajectory of the night. After Miller retired the next hitter, Todd Frazier, Francona replaced him with Tyler Olson, his team suddenly trailing. It was Josh Tomlin Authentic Jersey the first time Miller had been pulled during an inning for another left-handed reliever since last July, when he was with the Yanks.

"He's human," Indians shortstop Francisco Lindor said.

"I made a pretty big mistake tonight, but it was one swing of the bat," Miller said. "I'll be ready to go tomorrow."
    Amid a Juan Uribe Authentic Jersey postseason in which starting pitchers have struggled to pitch deep into games, Carrasco did his part to keep the Tribe in a duel, tossing 5 2/3 scoreless innings while striking out seven. For a stretch early in the game, he and Tanaka seemingly tried to one-up each other on quick innings. They ended up teaming for the first game in postseason history in which each starting pitcher produced seven or more strikeouts and allowed three hits or fewer in a scoreless performance.

"That's two of the better starting performances you're going to see," Cleveland manager Terry Francona said.

With a tough breaking ball and an effective change of speeds, Carrasco continued his track record of stingy pitching at Yankee Stadium, holding the Yankees hitless until Didi Gregorius singled with one Kyle Crockett Authentic Jersey out in the fourth. Carrasco struck out seven of the first 15 batters he faced, including slugger Aaron Judge on a slider in the dirt in the first inning before Judge took a called third strike on a breaking ball at the knees in the fourth inning.

This made for a memorable postseason debut for Carrasco, who missed the postseason a year ago with a broken bone in his right hand.
    "The feeling is Larry Doby Authentic Jersey way different," Carrasco said of the postseason intensity. "In the first inning, I kind of felt it a little bit. But after that, I felt great. I just tried to control myself every time when I pitched and just think about every pitch that I'm going to throw. I know in this game, in the postseason, I can't make a mistake on any pitch."

According to Statcast, Carrasco threw his fastball on just 30 of 85 pitches, a 35.3 fastball percentage that ranked as his lowest in a game since 2015 (42.5 percent) and well below his usual fastball rate of 53.3 percent.